Detection of Brucellosis in Blood of Cows in Some Farmsof Khartoum State

Authors

  • Sara Mohammed ElmahadiKhalid Basheir Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medical Laboratory science –Alzaiem Alazhari University, Sudan.
  • Amira AltoomFuzi Othman Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medical Laboratory science –Alzaiem Alazhari University, Sudan.
  • Babbiker Mohammed Taher Gorish Departement of Microbiology, Faculty of Medical Laboratory science –Omdurman Islamic University, Sudan.

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.33702/crbmb.2020.2.1.3

Keywords:

Brucellosis, Cows, Farms, Serology, Rose Bengal test.

Abstract

Brucellosis is an infectious disease that affect human as well as animals. The disease is caused by exposure to a bacterial species belong to the genus Brucella. Brucellosis has wide distribution in sub-Saharan African countries, including Sudan in which the diagnosis remains a great challenge and basically depend on serology. The present study was carried out on five dairy cattle farms allegedly free from brucellosis, but with sporadic cases of abortion. As well-known Sudan has a many dairy industries with peri‑urban dairy establishments which built in order to improve milk availability to rural communities. The aim of this study is to estimate the prevalence of brucellosis in Sudan, using samples submitted to collect from different farms. Five farms were tested with Rose Bengal Test (RBT) and Enzyme-linked Immune-absorbent Assay (ELISA). Parallel testing was used to determine whether a farm was to be considered positive or not. The result showed that out of 70 cow’s Blood samples examine 22 (31.4%) had positive RBPT results while the rest (68.6%) had Negative RBPT results. Of the Five farms which were examined the positive cows were observed in only 2 farms. The results show the need to carry out surveillance of brucellosis in cattle in Sudan to understand the spatial distribution of the disease in the country. These surveillance could reduce the risk of Brucellosis spreading and consequently improvement will take place in the quality of livestock and their dairy product which consumed by the human in those areas.

Downloads

Published

2020-07-10

Issue

Section

Research Article